My longtime friends and I are planning a weekend together.
To join them, I need to cross the border to my country.
But is it still my country? I don’t feel like saying it anymore.
This raises the question:
When is an expat not one anymore?
I’ve been living in Germany for almost 8 years. My life is here and the more I think about the future, the harder it becomes to understand why any attachment to my country persists.
Though few points could still make me believe that it is mine.
My roots are there, my family, longtime friends, the language share with those people.
Following the national news, I still read the media from my country but what for?
Is it to have some context of what is happening when I talk with my family or just that I share a common understanding of the world. Which I can’t fully get due to the language barrier here.
My country gave me a card that says: This cardholder is under consular protection.
What does it even mean? If everything turns to shit, I have a safe place to go to.
Can someone believe that in Europe today, something that critical could happen?
The more I think about it and the weirder it gets.
Will we ever challenge why we need embassies, borders, or countries?
Anyway. I would be curious to hear thoughts from expats who feel like they passed beyond the point of no attachment to their country.
My Ship30for30 Atomic Essays
- Day 1: Ship & Learn
- Day 2: Side Project List Paralysis
- Day 3: What I learned from 7M views on YouTube.
- Day 4: Going All-in
- Day 5: 2021 Process
- Day 6: Have you ever heard of Pharaoh Ants?
- Day 7: Bulletproof Process
- Day 8: The Many-Faced God of Email Marketing
- Day 9: Unbundling Email Marketing.
- Day 10: Essential Email Marketing for your Online Store
- Day 11: SaaS + Email Marketing
- Day 12: Minimum Writing Agreement
- Day 13: My country?
- Day 14: Second Life
- Day 15: You can earn money creating animated emojis
- Day 16: Urbex the internet
- Day 17: Build an audience first
- Day 18: Turn it into 💸
- Day 19: Financial tips for my 20yo self
- Day 20: Digital Worlds Memories
- Day 21: Allowing Self-Reflection
- Day 22: Twitch as a school
- Day 23: Twitter Eras
- Day 24: What’s your MUT?
- Day 25: Why does one move abroad when others don’t?
- Day 26: Twitch Marketing V2
- Day 27: Are cohort-based courses the solution for a better completion rate?
- Day 28: The
- Day 29: Diving into the knowledge of other minds
- Day 30: 30 for 30 ✔️