Or the story of how anything can be turned into a product.
I started to make emojis when working at Airbnb where I discovered
Slack. Over the years, I created numerous animated custom emojis for
my colleagues to celebrate all kinds of reactions: celebrate
achievements, friendships, anniversaries, and more.
When leaving for a long vacation break, I felt the need to share a tutorial
on how to create those.
After that, I decided to turn it into an article on my blog about it.
Somehow Google liked it and it is now trusting the top of the search
result for search queries like create animated Slack Emojis.
The content was also repurposed for Discord by changing few words.
Which then overtook the original idea in terms of traffic.
Then I started to think about how I could monetize this audience.
Visitors were interested to learn how to do it, but if it’s was complicated
for them, they’d rather just pay for it. So I offered a done-for-you product.
Even if it takes 4 minutes to make one…
That’s how I sold $18 of animated emojis.
Of course, it can be complicated to make a living out of this art.
But the process can be replicated anywhere and generate greater
- Own a topic
- Build an audience
- Define a product
- Sell it
This is far from being easy as 1,2,3 and will take iteration on each step.
But for anyone with the right motivation, it is the way to go to create an
additional source of income.
My Ship30for30 Atomic Essays
- Day 1: Ship & Learn
- Day 2: Side Project List Paralysis
- Day 3: What I learned from 7M views on YouTube.
- Day 4: Going All-in
- Day 5: 2021 Process
- Day 6: Have you ever heard of Pharaoh Ants?
- Day 7: Bulletproof Process
- Day 8: The Many-Faced God of Email Marketing
- Day 9: Unbundling Email Marketing.
- Day 10: Essential Email Marketing for your Online Store
- Day 11: SaaS + Email Marketing
- Day 12: Minimum Writing Agreement
- Day 13: My country?
- Day 14: Second Life
- Day 15: You can earn money creating animated emojis
- Day 16: Urbex the internet
- Day 17: Build an audience first
- Day 18: Turn it into 💸
- Day 19: Financial tips for my 20yo self
- Day 20: Digital Worlds Memories
- Day 21: Allowing Self-Reflection
- Day 22: Twitch as a school
- Day 23: Twitter Eras
- Day 24: What’s your MUT?
- Day 25: Why does one move abroad when others don’t?
- Day 26: Twitch Marketing V2
- Day 27: Are cohort-based courses the solution for a better completion rate?
- Day 28: The
- Day 29: Diving into the knowledge of other minds
- Day 30: 30 for 30 ✔️