Between 2013 and 2016, I was so laser focus on a side project that no
mermaid nor Berlin club could distract me from my goal:
I will publish a YouTube video every single day.
Nothing could stop me. I was a video production machine.
Recording 2 to 3 videos each evening and editing them out to always have one
video ready for the next day.
Looking at the numbers it’s only a total of 390 published uploads. But still, with
all the effort that went into it, it felt like this goal was accomplished
How did this start? I discovered YouTube as a marketing acquisition channel
in 2013. It fascinated me from 2 sides: a content creator perspective and a
business standpoint. Growing up editing videos shot with webcams, this
YouTube channel thing was something I had to try.
Here is what worked and what didn’t:
- Thinking SEO content first. The 5 most viewed videos: 2,045,176 views
combined, all answered a clear search query.
- Focusing on a core group of fans.
- Being the first to post a video on one topic.
- Repurposing content. E.g. this is what we can see these days from Twitch
streamers: publishing their best off on YouTube
- Having one goal.
What didn’t work
- Trying to change the core content of the channel.
- Keeping motivation high. No change means that it becomes repetitive
quickly and kills the passion. As I was trying to please subscribers, the
content published didn’t make me proud anymore. The few who succeeded
until today managed to take their audience on a diversified content journey
- Making money. This is not a good investment of one’s time. For the total
time spent on the project, revenue is ridiculous. Ad revenue alone is not the
way forward for creators and they know it
Overall this was a lot of fun, especially this time I went all-in and booked a
flight to attend a special event. But more on that in the next essay.
My Ship30for30 Atomic Essays
- Day 1: Ship & Learn
- Day 2: Side Project List Paralysis
- Day 3: What I learned from 7M views on YouTube.
- Day 4: Going All-in
- Day 5: 2021 Process
- Day 6: Have you ever heard of Pharaoh Ants?
- Day 7: Bulletproof Process
- Day 8: The Many-Faced God of Email Marketing
- Day 9: Unbundling Email Marketing.
- Day 10: Essential Email Marketing for your Online Store
- Day 11: SaaS + Email Marketing
- Day 12: Minimum Writing Agreement
- Day 13: My country?
- Day 14: Second Life
- Day 15: You can earn money creating animated emojis
- Day 16: Urbex the internet
- Day 17: Build an audience first
- Day 18: Turn it into 💸
- Day 19: Financial tips for my 20yo self
- Day 20: Digital Worlds Memories
- Day 21: Allowing Self-Reflection
- Day 22: Twitch as a school
- Day 23: Twitter Eras
- Day 24: What’s your MUT?
- Day 25: Why does one move abroad when others don’t?
- Day 26: Twitch Marketing V2
- Day 27: Are cohort-based courses the solution for a better completion rate?
- Day 28: The
- Day 29: Diving into the knowledge of other minds
- Day 30: 30 for 30 ✔️